August 10, 2014

Top 5 Back to School Essentials

This will be the first time in almost 20 years (holy crap!) that I will not actually be going back to school.
I can't decide if that's something to celebrate or wallow over but I have decided that it does make me somewhat of an expert at the whole back-to-school business seeing as I have been doing it for two decades (still not okay with how that sounds). So I've compiled a short & sweet list of my tried and true back to school essentials for y'all.


Paper is like a number one essential when you're heading back to school. You obviously need paper for your assignments but there's also endless amounts of paper being given to you through the day. I picked up this Five Star Hybrid of a notebook and a binder at the beginning of the first semester of my Junior year of college because it was literally the last notebook Wal-mart had...I was a little late to the school supplies game that year. It comes in some really great colors. Mine was actually Teal but this Pink one is really great and would look great with a monogram!
I loved the fact that it was part binder so I could add more loose leaf paper and even rearrange papers too. However, it's flexible and thin like a notebook and even comes with pocket dividers for all those papers that have yet to be hole punched. Something I didn't enjoy, however, was definitely the price. At $9.99 it seemed a bit extreme for a notebook at the time but I'll let you in on a secret that makes it totally worth it...this notebook lasted through 4 semesters and possibly could have gone longer but you know graduation got in the way. :)



2.) Fun and Comfortable Pens & Mechanical Pencils
You're going to be writing a lot in school...it's just a given. So you're going to need comfortable things to write with but it's always good to keep things fun and interesting too. I really like the Staedtler Triplus Fineliner Pens to color code my notes, you can pick up a 10 pack in assorted colors from Amazon. While the colors are really great to keep your own notes interesting and easy to read some teachers and professors actually prefer that you only use blue or black ink on assignments so these BIC Ballpoint Pens from Target are perfect because they even come with a bonus red pen for those fun moments when you get to grade each others papers. 
Target also has BIC Mechanical Pencils in an 8ct. pack for .99 cents which you can't go wrong with.



3.) Sticky Notes & Index Cards
Target has some really great supplies but I especially love really bright and colorful sticky notes to keep me on track. I also really like the sticky notes that are like a small notebook. I may or may not have plastered my dorm room in them during a harsh Constitutional Law study session. You'll always need index cards, they're an absolute must for any study session. 



4.) Planner/Agenda
There is no way that I could have made it through school without a planner by my side. I have loved the agendas from Lilly Pulitzer for years now (I'm on my third one!). The Lilly Pulitzer Agendas range in price from $17 for the small all the way up to $34 for the jumbo version. I've had the large one for the past two years and think it's the perfect size for me. I love the fun prints and just think it's great to be able to bring a little Lilly with me everywhere I'm going around school. 
For something that is similar in price but a bit more grown-up check out the Kate Spade Agendas, my favorite is the Medium in Gold Dots
If those are a little bit out of your price range, they definitely were for me before I started making my own money, Walmart has some really great, cheap planners that certainly get the job done.



5.) A Great Bag to Put It All In
We've gathered quiet the load of supplies thus far so of course you're going to need a really great bag to carry it all around. Personally I've noticed that I go through stages with my school bag. I was just too cool for a backpack in high school so I always carried tote backs to, well, tote my books around. You don't get a locker in college and sometimes you just don't want to make the trek back to your dorm room to grab a book in between classes so a back pack was definitely the way to go. Once my course load got lighter closer to graduation, I started carrying more purse like bags to class that could work when I brought it in to my internship too. 
I've listed some really great backpacks and bags below and even gave save & splurge options!



Backpack
Save: This Neff Scholar Tie Dye backpack is too cool and is definitely on trend with the pastel colors. You can opt to keep it class with this JanSport Coral Backpack that brings a pop of color to your school day.
Splurge: I was never one for Vera Bradley in school but this Vera Bradley Lighten Up Backpack in Ziggy Zags is cute without being that signature floral.

Bag
Save: You can definitely save a big buck and keep it Monogrammed Magnolia style with this Longchamp Inspired Monogrammed Tote on Etsy.
Splurge: What's more classic than a really great canvas tote? You can get the Vineyard Vines Stars Classic Tote  and pull a move along the lines of The College Prepster.
I absolutely love the School Satchel from TopShop and think it is the perfect option to keep things stylish and functional but also add in a pop of professionalism too.

I hope you've enjoyed my Top 5 Back-to-School Essentials! Leave a comment below telling me you're favorite thing about getting ready to go back to school.

until next time,
xo
Merisa



No comments:

Post a Comment