August 25, 2014

My Thoughts On...the VMAs.

Because you know we've just got to talk about it.
I am a huge fan of the VMAs and have been watching them since before I was even allowed to watch MTV. Seriously, I used to watch it on the lowest volume setting possible then change the channel every time I thought I heard my parents walk past my room. That was when I was like 8 or something. In fact, I remember watching quiet a few VMAs before my parents actually allowed me to watch them in the living room for my first official Video Music Awards viewing back in 2001, but we'll get back to that in a minute. 


Let's start by having a look at some of my favorite (and least favorite) fashion moments from last night's festivities.
Best Dressed
I'm giving Best Dressed to my Ultimate Girl Crush...I-G-G-Y!
Among a red carpet full of "eh" looks, Iggy Azalea brought glamour and pushed the bar just far enough with this Versace gown. She also scored points with me by being the realest (yea, I know) when it came to who she was wearing when she told Sway on the red carpet that Versace had contacted her and asked her to wear one of their pieces so they flew it out to her then had to rip the dress apart and sew her into it. That's how it happens people! She didn't wake up like this and she's not afraid to admit it.

Worst Dressed
What the hell,  Taylor?! 
First of all, I was not impressed by this year's red carpet looks. There was a lot more bad than good. Maybe even some worse than this but I picked this look for one reason. She could have done so much better! Look at those legs. I understand, you've gotta show those suckers off but no one is focused on your gorgeous gams when you look like you're wearing a diaper. 
Not everyone can pull of the bodysuit look quiet like Bey-once so don't feel bad, T-Swift but just remember this. If your shorts are so short that the inseam can't be measured then you should probably make them into a leotard or get a new outfit. Taylor should have done the latter but hey, shake it off, right?

Now for the main event.

Kicking the show off with a bang was Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj, and Jessie J with their melody of hits including Break Free, Anaconda, and Bang Bang. Here's my thoughts on the performance...
Ariana has an AH-MAY-ZING voice. It's that plain and simple. 
I don't care, I love Anaconda and Nicki Minaj. 
I have always been on the fence about Jessie J but this performance may have pushed me over to her side. 
Nicki Minaj may have had a wardrobe malfunction but girlfriend proved that the show must go on by coming out on stage holding the front of her dress together the whole time. There are not words to
describe how great that is. 
Gwen Stefani and Snoop Dogg (Snoop Lion??) presented the first award of the night and sent us all back to California My love for Gwen Stefani is immeasurable. I just do not see a point when I will not love her and it's not because we share a birthday...even though we do. October 3rd, in case y'all were wondering.
T-Swizzle redeemed herself, a bit, with her performance of Shake It Off...which is actually a really great song if you don't watch the video while listening to it. However she proved herself to be, as one of my friends said during the show, "Taylor Swift, patron saint of awkward white girls everywhere" when she paused during the performance, muttered something about not wanted to jump from the stage into a crowd full of hot guys in suits, then ran down the stairs and started signing again. She did mention something about that snake biting one of Nicki Minaj's dancers though, so that was funny but mostly I could have done without that little skit.

If you haven't heard about my love for Ed Sheeran than you must be new here.
If you get it by now then you'll completely understand that I may have gotten a bit emotional when Ed Sheeran won Best Male Video. Like what?! OMG! I felt like a proud momma...or mumma since he's British. Turns out it was Ed's first American award and I have to say he completely deserves it. Congrats, Ed!!! xx

Was it just me or was the crowd just super loud this year? I couldn't even hear Kim Kardashian-West (because that's her official title now)introduce Sam Smith. However, the Kardashian/West/Jenner Clan was absolutely adorable during the performance. The camera like panned to them 5 times in 3 minutes.

Can we just talk about how Common was sweet enough to ask for a moment of Silence in honor of both Michael Brown and his wish for peace (which I wish could have been longer but was well respected) yet the first video nominated for Best Hip Hop Video was Kanye West's Black Skinhead. I don't even want to go there. Kanye just leaves a bad taste in my mouth sometimes.

Was Jay Pharaoh the host or nah? I'm thinking nah and MTV just got him out there to make people laugh and keep voting going for Artist to Watch.

Last but certainly not least.
I can't even begin to talk about Beyonce's performance.
Oh lawd, Queen Bey's done done it again. I can't. I just can't. She's amazing. Her family is amazing and freaking adorable. Let's just say I want to be Beyonce more than ever now. #Flawless

Well that's it lovelies, leave a comment below letting me know your favorite part of the 2014 Video Music Awards! xo

For now I'll leave you with this precious picture...when you realize your mom is God so that means you're low-key Jesus.
Does that make Jay-Z Joseph or Mary?


until next time, 
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment