February 9, 2014

My Obsession: The Olympics

I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!
Even in all caps and bolded letters that is still an understatement. 
I have been an Olympics enthusiast ever since the 1996 Summer Games in Atlanta. Yes folks, at the tender age of 5 I became an Olympic junkie!
Being from the South, my parents were really excited for the Games, my dad even lived in Atlanta for a few years when he was a kid. I remember bits and pieces of the games but my favorite part was definitely the Opening Ceremony...I was 5, I was only focused on the fireworks!
When I got a little older I got way more interested in the actual Games themselves, I even remember taking a whole grading period to learn about Australia in third grade just in time for the Sydney games. Remember when Mary-Kate & Ashley tried to road-trip to Salt Lake City for the 2002 Winter Games in Getting There? Not even gonna lie, I loved that movie and it also ensured that I was completely hooked on the Olympics no matter what season it was.

So, it should really come as no surprise that I am so excited that it is Olympic time again!
Bring it on Sochi! By the way, I am I the only one that felt like Anastasia during that Opening Ceremony the other night? Can't be.

How sad was it that the 5th Olympic ring glitched out?
Fun Fact I learned from the NBC broadcast: apparently this glitch was taken out of the Russian broadcast and replaced with footage from rehearsals when the ring was completely functional. Kinda crazy, right?

Let's not forget those crazy kids on Team USA!
I must admit that at first I was not too keen on the Ralph Lauren Christmas sweaters but as the ceremony continued (and I saw the adorable Shaun White) they grew on me a little...
...to the point that I kinda want one now. I could do without the patchwork front but nothing says 'Merica like a mega dose of red, white, & blue!
Well, I'm off to catch the recap of the figure skating medal ceremony!
Comment below and let me know what you thought about the Opening Ceremony, Team USA's getups, and who you're keeping an eye out for on the medal stand!

until next time, darlings
xo
Merisa

No comments:

Post a Comment