July 28, 2014

What My Ears Have Been Loving

I was putting together a list of my favorites for this month like I usually do when I realized that the music category was overflowing. So, I decided that was worthy of discussing. 
My music taste is normally very varied but I have been especially all over the place lately, and I love it!
I have bounced between bright country by the pool, light acoustic ballads while writing, and guitar ridden pop-punk anthems when I just need to dance it out. 
All of that has made for quite the soundtrack so here are some of my absolute stand-out favorites.



Jamie Lynn Spears - "The Journey"
Yep, that's right, Zoe 101 has followed in big sis Brit's footsteps and started releasing music but there's a catch. She's got her own voice and is turning up the Southern charm on the country scene.
Being an avid Britney fan myself, I was so excited when little Jamie Lynn decided to release her first single a couple month's ago with How Could I Want More. This EP just screams Monogrammed Magnolia and that right there should be enough for y'all to go give it a listen asap! My absolute favorite is the song Run but all 5 tracks are incredible. Congrats, Jamie Lynn! I can't wait to here more!



LIGHTS - Siberia (Acoustic)
So, I'm not entirely sure how I found this album but it is nothing short of amazing! I knew of LIGHTS from Tumblr but had never heard any of her music so initially I thought this type of folky-acoustic ballads was her thing, come to find out she's actually more electro-pop-rock (whatevs) and that this album was actually a re-release. I had already fallen in love with the album before going back and checking out the original versions of the songs and I have to say they all sound better acoustic. The lyrics are soulful and fun and feel like they were written to be acoustic so it is so hard for me to enjoy the original versions in retrospect but I just cannot stop listening to the acoustic versions. The title track, Siberia, is amazing and was stuck in my head for like a week straight this month. Don't forget to check out Banner and Flux and Flow as well!


Miranda Lambert - Platinum
I am usually not the biggest fan of country music but that kick ass performance from Miranda Lambert & Carrie Underwood on the Billboard Music Awards turned me into a believer. First of all, they are two of the hottest women on the planet and they make Somethin' Bad sound so good.
My friend played the song in the car a couple of weeks ago and I was just loving it so she played the whole album for me. I loved it so much I went straight home, found the album on Spotify and haven't stopped listening since. I think the way Miranda writes her songs is so unique and fun to listen that you can help but love her music. Some of my stand out faves are Platinum (aka What Doesn't Kill You Only Makes You Blonder, LOVE!), Little Red Wagon, Priscilla (a letter to Priscilla Presley asking for advice), and the Monogrammed Magnolias Anthem - Another Sunday in the South.

Ed Sheeran - X (Multiply)
So, you might remember I mentioned this album in my favorites for last month...well, I'm still listening to it and I don't see the end in sight because it is that good. To read more about my love for X check out my June Favorites. All my favorite songs are still the same and I'm seriously considering having "Thinking Out Loud" played at my imaginary wedding so there's that.



5 Seconds of Summer 
5SOS Fam, rejoice! It's here, it's here, it's finally here!
Yes, that would be me freaking out alongside millions of teenage girls on a Directioner level of madness...no shame. Thanks to the wonder that is the internet I've been waiting for this album to come to America for the past two years. It's such a fun album that I'm going to dare to say it was worth the wait. I love that it reminds me a bit of my obsession with bands like All Time Low and Mayday Parade from high school but in a newer way. Some of my favorites from the album are 18, Long Way Home, Beside You, and the acoustic version of Don't Stop.






You can check out all of these albums and a few extras on my What My Ears Have Been Loving Playlist on my Spotify profile at merisa23 or down below.


-Spotify Playlists-
In case you haven't caught on, I'm a huge fan of Spotify and an even bigger fan of their playlists. Whenever I'm in a music slump or just can't find something to suit my mood Spotfiy is there to rescue me with one of their playlists. I've listed some of my current favorite playlists down below so be sure to check them out.
Afternoon Acoustic
Girls' Night
Back2College
Running High Tempo > 140 BPM
 (They have so many workout playlists that are catered to specific exercises it was hard to pick just one but this is my favorite treadmill playlist.)

Leave a comment below letting me know your favorite song from July or your favorite Spotify playlist, I'd love to hear from you!

until next time,
xo
Merisa

No comments:

Post a Comment