July 22, 2014

My Thoughts On...Finding Carter

If you follow me on Twitter then you probably know that I have really been liking the shows MTV has been pumping out recently. From Awkward being so cringe-worthy it's hilarious and Faking It making me wish I actually went to Hester High, I just can't get enough. Which I'm not entirely sure says good things about my taste in television but who doesn't love a good guilty pleasure?
Once Faking It finished out its first season (Only an 8 episode season, MTV? Really?) I was definitely on the lookout for a new teen-aimed sitcomy type deal. That's when I saw the first promo for....
First reaction: "Oh my god, that's Katie from Skins...or wait, maybe it's Emily. *gasp* Or maybe it's both!"
There we have it, a combination of two of my favorite things...
British people and trashy teen-drama. I'm all in.

Turns out it was actually Emily in the promo, as the show stars Kathryn Prescott as Carter Stevens. 
As mentioned, Kathryn previously worked on the British series, Skins, alongside her twin sister, Megan, as on-screen twins Emily and Katie Fitch. 

Let me just say that I LOVE Skins. The British version, not that crap that MTV tried to pull over on us a few years ago. I love how it's gritty and shows a side of the teenage experience that's much more emotional than whiny and angst-ridden without being sappy.
However, there's plenty of angst, it's just dealt with in more creative ways than staring off into the sunset from across the Creek. Emily was definitely one of my favorite characters from the second generation so I was really excited to see her playing something on this side of the pond. 

I was kind of intrigued by the fact that the only promo I had seen for the show didn't really give anything away about the premise of the show, that is until I saw a second one.
With her world literally turning upside down around her, Carter goes on about how life changes when she finds out that her mom is not her mom but her kidnapper.
Dun dun dun!
"Dear lord, please don't let this be another 'Face on the Milk Carton' deal," I thought.

MTV, you really let me down by giving too much of the premise away right off the bat. I was already intrigued by the title and your lead actor, now, going into the pilot I had become judgmental and skeptical. So here are the thoughts that derived from that:
(if you haven't already watched at least the pilot episode then brace yourself for some spoilers)

  • Great opening scene! I love seeing Carter and her mom bond over Fro-Yo. This scene also leads to some important points later on such as, "If we ever get separated, I'll meet you by the biggest tub of gummy bears." 
  • Way to jump right into the story line. I thought with the premiere featuring a two-part episode we wouldn't "find out" Carter had been kidnapped until later on, but nope. Carter gets arrested with her friends after a very Skins like night of spliffs and drinking on a carousel they had broken into. Then, rather than being released, she's told than her mother has skipped town because, get this...she's not her mother but her kidnapper! *gasp* 
  • Yea, you told us that in the commercial so I guess it's good you got it out of the way sooner rather than later.
  • There is no way in Hades that Carter wouldn't have just freaked the freak out over that kind of bomb being dropped! Like, what? No tears?
  • Also, there is no way she would have gotten in the car with her new parents that fast. They could be the real kidnappers and shouldn't there be like a transition period between getting the news that you've been living with your kidnapper for 13 years and finding out you have a different mom, a new dad, a little brother, AND a twin sister?!

Now, here is where I have the real problems. As I mentioned earlier, Kathryn has played a twin before...with her actual, identical twin sister!

Carter and Taylor look nothing alike, which is fine really and happens a lot when dealing with twins on television but not when your lead actor has an actual twin! What went wrong there?
I can understand if Megan was able to take on the role or just didn't even consider it but why make Carter and Taylor twins? From what I can tell the story lines would go on just fine if Taylor was the older sister or something


On the other hand, I love Grant! He's witty, funny, and caring for a young boy and seems to be the only family member willing to get to know Carter at a peaceful pace. He's also the first character to bond with Carter as he feels like an outsider for being her "replacement" in the family.
Carter's new parents are a lot to handle. 
I respect the twist that her mom isn't the typical expressive and outwardly loving mother, especially in this particular situation, but it's as if Linda is so enthralled by the actual case of Carter's abduction that she isn't focused on the fact that she has her family back now. 
Carter's dad is a different story even though it turns out he made a great profit off of Carter's disappearance by writing a book about it. He really wants to get to know Carter and rebuild a relationship with her while his wife is, as it turns out, cheating on him with her colleague. All of which turns her into a greater enemy than a kidnapper. 

Speaking of which...has anyone else noticed that Carter looks so much like her kidnapper-mother and nothing like her actual mother? I could go on and on but I'll just wrap it up from here.

There are so many elements of the show that keep me from fully enjoying it but there are also so many elements that keep pulling me back in.
I love the whole Skins vibe that comes through sometimes but then I hate that it doesn't seem real because unlike the kids in Skins, Carter actually has parents who are involved, or want to be involved in her life. I just have a really hard time believing that a parent (spoiler alert) can find their daughter in a coma after popping Molly (Does anyone really call it that aside from rap stars and MTV?) and be totally fine with it. 
I also refuse to believe that Carter would be as okay with the whole situation as she seems to be so far but I love seeing her deal with this unique situation.

It's a back and forth battle with every episode but so far I'm still here watching every Tuesday at 10pm so they must be doing something right.

Be sure to watch Finding Carter with me tonight and leave a comment telling me your thoughts or download the Beamly app and we can all talk about it there.

until next time
xo
Merisa



No comments:

Post a Comment