July 18, 2014

That One Time Fashion Made Me Cry

This is a true story.
I'm not proud of it but it is what it is.

As mentioned in my last post, I am currently watching Season 12 of Project Runway because I was looking for something to watch that was creative and inspiring so it was an obvious choice. However, I did not expect to react the way I did.
Let's start with Justin LeBlanc. Oh lord, I just love him!
I just connected with him right from the get go, even before I knew he was deaf. When he was eliminated in episode 6 I started crying even before he did. When he went back to the lounge and everyone else started crying I just lost it. It wasn't until Tim Gunn appeared, said he had something to say, then proceeded to take his glasses off so that he could wipe his eyes that I fully became aware that he was preparing to use his Tim Gunn Save on Justin. Praise be to you, Fashion Gods and you too, Mr. Tim Gunn! Oh sweet baby Jesus, I just can't. I can't.
I spent every episode after that crossing my fingers and praying that Justin would make it through to Fashion Week. I love his designs and I love his emotion. I just feel like he has a really unique view of the world that comes through in his designs and I just love the bravery and emotion he was able to display while on the show.

But that's not even the worst of it...
There I was just binge watching Tim Gunn encouraging the contestants to "make it work" when I realized I was on episode 12...aka the one where they decide who makes it to Fashion Week. Oh no, I had not prepared myself. It just snuck up on me. 
Throughout the entire season (otherwise known as the day and a half it took me to watch 12 episodes) I kept thinking "This has got to be the kindest, most talented season ever!" Seriously, this season had it's fair share of nut cases and whackadoos but other than the occasional verbal tussle and Sandro punching that camera, things seemed pretty calm. 
Everyone being so nice and sportsman like toward each other, complimenting competing designs as they walked the runway, made me feel emotionally attached to so many contestants it was unreal. 
I am in no way, shape, or form the type of girl that gets emotional over movies or tv shows. I can't stand The Notebook, I did not cry when Bambi's mom died, and I can watch Dobby die without screaming in agony...it's a gift. However, I have been an over emotional wreck this week and this particular episode just did not help. 

The episode starts out with the final 5 contestants tasked with the challenge of creating an avant garde design inspired by butterflies. Great, I just so happen to have an emotional attachment to butterflies (a story which is far to deep to insert here but maybe at another date), just perfect.
Everything seems fine until the designers are given another challenge for the first time ever in which they have to take the designs of previously eliminated contestants and rework them. The designers all pick their designs fairly quickly then it's Justin's turn. Oh lord. 
In case you haven't caught on, Justin has the deliciously unique chance to rework the very design that garnered his own elimination. I see what you did there, Project Runway Producers, and I applaud you! Bravo! The emotion and bravery that spawned from Justin slowly rolling the mannequin holding his own losing design was television gold! 

Something unique about this episode was that the designs and the actual process was not the highlight of the show as it normally is...so by the time it was time for the runway portion of the show to start I realized that I didn't actually know what any of the designs fully looked like and I love a good surprise, or so I thought.

The first design on the runway was Dom's. 
I was floored!
Alternate Universe Merisa would kill to wear this outfit. Hell, this-universe Merisa would kill to wear this outfit! I loved the shape, the colors, the patterns. Anything and everything about the design was fantastic and suddenly I was rooting for everyone to win. I couldn't make up my mind.
Then came the judges. 
This gives it way more justice
When Emmy Rossum tried it on I started crying uncontrollably! Why? Because I wanted to wear that jacket. I may have been crying from jealously or just from coveting an avant garde jacket but either way I was crying while watching a television show about insane fashion designs.
Zac Posen said that Dom's designs were "emotional clothing" and I agree...for obvious reasons.
And as if that wasn't enough of an emotional roller coaster Heidi went on to tell Dom and Bradon that they had guaranteed spots at Fashion Week but EVERYONE was getting to put together a collection!
That's right, folks. Everyone. As in all 5 contestants with only 2 more joining Dom and Bradon at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week. 
Oh lord, I hope I can make it through this finale. 
Oh lord, everyone looks so fabulous! And look, it's freaking Kerry Washington! Love her
If you totally understand where I'm coming from then you probably already watched this season...most likely a year ago when it was on tv, or you might just think I'm crazy but either way you should definitely check out Season 13 of Project Runway when it premieres on Lifetime on July 24th!
I'll probably have some very interesting thoughts about this season too so prepare yourself in advance.

until next time
xo
Merisa  

PS: I just saw that Episode 12 actually premiered on my birthday last year! Maybe that has something to do with my extreme emotional response...probs not.

No comments:

Post a Comment